Join our growing community of sustainability ambassadors and partners! A healthy environment equates to healthier human beings and a reduced cancer risk. The environment has always been a part of the B4BC mission, and moving into our 20th Anniversary year, we are stepping-up our responsibility to seek solutions towards limiting and erasing our organization’s carbon-footprint all together.
More Info: B4BC is partnering with Protect Our Winters (POW) on several ideas and sharing our outreach moving forward in winter sports. We are also working with Sustainable Surf, another foundation that has done incredible work towards limiting carbon-footprints for surfing events. We have also partnered with Association Community Carbon Trees (ACCT) in Costa Rica to calculate and offset the B4BC carbon footprint, our outreach programs, and travel for our survivorship retreats through tree planting on the equator.
Why has B4BC chosen to work with ACCT in Costa Rica to offset our carbon footprint (Greenhouse Gas GHG) rather than choosing a location in the United States? Jenny Smith, director of the ACCT, and her team have been doing this work for 15 years and are dedicated to working with rural communities, especially women, with interactive education along the way.
- A single tree grown for 25 years within 10 degrees of the Equator will absorb tons of CO2, plus rebuild the soil. The difference is that tropical trees generate life-giving oxygen for all of us to breathe and rainforest trees create cooling clouds by recycling water vapor to lower global temperature. Evo-transpiration through trees near the Equator is critical for balancing the hydrological or rain/snow cycle and replenishing underground water reservoirs all over the planet.
- ACCT has earned Superstar status on respected philanthropic platform, GlobalGiving.org which provides receipts registered to US 501(c)3 status.
B4BC has created tailored sustainability guidelines to create a zero-waste blueprint that other nonprofits may follow. B4BC aims to lead by example, illustrating all steps of this process in regards to measuring our carbon footprint and offsets. B4BC encourages the action sports industry, team athletes, cause-marketing partners, and supporters to adapt measures, in addition to educating booth visitors on the importance of a sustainable, healthy lifestyle.
B4BC’s Measurement and Evaluation will start in 2016 with a 3-year program to include:
- Waste Management
- Climate Change
- Community Involvement and B4BC Legacy
These guidelines are consistent with the Global Reporting Index (GRI)—a protocol utilized by the Olympics and other events. These guidelines are incorporated into existing and future B4BC programs. Tangible and obtainable goals have been drafted and will be documented. The results will be published in our B4BC Nonprofit and Impact Scorecard along with an Annual B4BC Report each summer.
The Strategy includes:
- Feasibility + Analysis: Understanding where B4BC currently stands
- Strategy Design: Developing strategies at all levels to include cause-marketing partner recommendations for our events, B4BC supporter-involvement, and on-site activations.
- Implementation: Providing steps to carry out the strategy in a realistic fashion
- Measurements + Reporting + Operations: Assessing the effectiveness of the strategy and how to keep moving towards the goals
Join us in our ongoing mission to create a healthier planet for healthier lifestyles, reduce the risk of cancer, and spread the awareness of breast health education and living an active lifestyle. For our part, stepping-up our own sustainability goals and partnering with others, is one way we can lead by example towards eradicating global climate change. This is also the best way that we’ll be able to shred the love for another 20 years.