So it turns out someone might ask you to bring something to a Thanksgiving or holiday party this season…and we’ve got you covered with this delightfully sweet and slightly spicy HEALTHY treat from our friends at Goofy Foot Foods! Get the recipe and read about the mega nutritional benefits of sweet potatoes below, and if you want more from our collaboration with Kris Kelly from Goofy Foot Foods, be sure to download our PDF Quick and Clean Salads & Smoothies for a $5 donation to make nutrition a vital part of your active lifestyle! Our nonprofit is youth focused, which means we want the youngins in our lives to know just how important a healthy, active lifestyle is to prevent breast cancer. This recipe book has tons of kid friendly recipes that are sure to make people of all ages smile!
Recipe and photos courtesy of Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods
What will you serve at your next party? With very little time for planning, shopping and prep, many of us panic when it comes time to serve our guests a dish that has been lovingly made in our own kitchen. Let’s get real, cooking takes time and there is a risk factor for those who aren’t in the kitchen often. Not to worry, I’ve got the perfect passing plate for you to share with your guests this fall. My recipe for Spiced Sweet Potato Rounds topped with our Apple Persimmon Salsa takes about 2 minutes of prep time for the sweet potatoes and 5 minutes for the salsa. Seriously folks, who doesn’t like salsa on everything? You can’t go wrong with these little bites served as a snack, passed before dinner or served along with your main meal. They’re both delightfully sweet and slightly spicy.
BENEFITS OF SWEET POTATOES
- These orange beauties are an incredible source of beta-carotene which converts to vitamin A in the body.
- Unlike other starchy potatoes, sweet potatoes have the ability to actually improve blood sugar regulation.
- Sweet potatoes slow down the digestive process with over 6 grams of dietary fiber in just one sweet potato.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed with a vegetable brush and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 persimmons, diced
- 1 apple, finely diced
- 1 Bosc pear, diced
- 1/4 – 1/2 purple onion, finely diced
- 1/4 – 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- 1 small clove garlic, pressed or finely diced (optional)
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Brush the sweet potato skins to remove any dirt and debris.
- Rinse and pat dry.
- Slice sweet potatoes into rounds, about 1/2″ thick, being mindful to keep uniform thickness. This helps ensure even cooking while in the oven.
- Drizzle rounds with olive oil and using your clean hands, rub both sides making sure they have a light coating.
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, cinnamon and sea salt.
- Lay rounds on a parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle evenly with spice mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes. Test with a fork or knife to make sure then are tender before removing.
- Prep persimmons, apple and pear.
- Using a large bowl, combine fruit, onion, lime juice, cilantro and sea salt.
- Toss lightly.
- Place baked sweet potato rounds on a serving tray. Add a dollop of our homemade guacamole (optional) and a small spoonful of salsa. Drizzle with Cashew Jalapeño Cream (optional) or sprinkle with a little finely chopped cilantro.