Photo: Elena Hight
It’s the last Tasty Tuesday of the month, which means we get a delicious recipe from Team B4BC and Olympic Snowboarder Elena Hight! We’re pretty much obsessed with her organic cooking, and these Quinoa Stuffed Peppers do not disappoint! Try it out for dinner and let us know what you think
One of the great things about summer time is all the get-togethers that seem to happen. I love being able to catch up with friends, celebrate holidays, and just have a chance to slow down and appreciate the long days and nights that summer brings. This is a great dish for a dinner party or BBQ. It is filling enough to be a vegetarian main dish, or can be a fabulous side to add to almost any meal. Quinoa is a super food that is rich is protein, iron, and fiber and perfect paired with all the veggies in this dish, so you can feel good about eating this nutritious, delicious meal!
Ingredients (use all organic ingredients when possible)
- 4 – bell peppers
- 1 – cup quinoa
- 1 ½ – cup coconut milk
- ½ – yellow onion
- 3-4 – garlic cloves
- ½ – jalapeño
- ½ tbs coconut oil
- 1 ½ – diced roma tomato
- 4-5 – diced baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 – tsp cumin
- 1 – tsp chili powder
- 1 – tsp curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 – cup crushed cashews
- ½ – lime- juiced
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. These are also amazing when they are cooked on a grill. If you are doing that instead, heat up the grill.
- You will use the coconut milk in place of water for cooking your quinoa. Follow the quinoa cooking instructions, being sure to slightly undercook the quinoa, as it will get cooked when you bake the bell peppers. Set aside, once cooked.
- Mince the garlic and jalapeño and dice the onion. Sautee on medium heat with coconut oil until browned.
- Add diced mushrooms and tomatoes and spices to the onion and garlic mixture. Sautee for 3 minutes; just long enough to soften the mushrooms and mix the flavors but not overcook the vegetables.
- Combine quinoa and vegetable mixture into a medium sized bowl.
- Add lime juice and crushed cashews and mix thoroughly.
- To prepare bell peppers slice off the tops, about a ¼ inch down the pepper and remove the seeds.
- Fill bell peppers with quinoa mixture.
- Place on baking pan or onto grill.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or grill for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy with friends and family!
Team B4BC Snowboarder