WORDS BY MEGAN PISCHKE
For those of you who don’t know Barrett Christy-Cummins, she throws down. On snowy booters, willow to pillow lines, in the office and on dance floors. BUT, you probably already know her. She not only was a part of our original Olympic snowboard team that went to Japan, but she now mentors and advocates for young female up and comers to chase their snowboard dreams. Being my best friend, its pretty easy to sit here and praise away, but Barrett is beyond the athlete turned team manager, she holds a special place in the snowboard worlds heart, and yes, she has graced the covers of Pop-Tart boxes, and various snowboard media magazines, is an all time record holder for X-Games medals, and probably Banked Slalom Pendleton blankets, but my favorite element to witness her in, is being a mother to her two kids and partner/wife to the infamous @TubeSteakFace, Temple Cummins.
Its hustle town in her house when the snow is piling up at Mt Baker, or there is surf forecasted for anywhere in the straights or La Push. Her and Temp seem to create a pretty sweet balance of panic and timeliness pulling it off. Their 12 year old son has more than tagged along over the years, and it wasn’t much to teach with him, he just follows and emulates with kindness and humility. He carries a beautiful balance of style and fluidity, that isn’t taught, because its in his genes. Cannon now drops in in every skate park bowl, wave, and snow session with his parents. And 7 year old Ayla isn’t far behind with her glittery shoes and dazzling dance outfits.
Here is the latest TOP THREE WITH B. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to sit down and ask her these things in person. I sent it to her via email while she was in another part of the world helping to edit the latest Mervin Video: Our Best Rider is A Girl:20 Years Of Barrett Christy. A celebration of Barretts’ 20 years of pro models at Gnu, and of her long time commitment, success and love in the sport of snowboarding. You can find it here:
FAVORITE SHRED LOCATIONS
- Mt Baker
- Hurricane Ridge
THINGS YOU BRING TO SURF
Besides 5/4/3 wetsuit??
- Hot water bottle
- Lib/Mayhem short/round or my Alex Lopez fish!
- One Ball wax!
ITEMS YOU CAN’T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT
- Cell phone (unfortunately)
- Water bottle
- Kids (most of the time)
FAVORITE BOARD GRAPHICS OF ALL TIME (and why)
- Billygoat 2013? Adam Haynes art with the wolf, Viking, girl riding out of a forest fire…. It’s just so dramatic and base is insane.
- B-Pro 1996 Flying pigs, I’m kinda nostalgic about that one I guess.
- MC hippy bus Lib. I guess it’s how I imagine them as kids growing up in the NW and it’s pretty!
FAVORITE MEALS PREPARED BY TEMP
- Cherry Pie
- Short Ribs
- Anything on his new Traeger grill
CAFFEINATED MORNING BEVERAGES
- Coffee pour over at home
- Double short Americano at a good coffee spot
- Dirty Chai if the coffee spot is questionable
FAVORITE SNOWBOARD TRIPS
- A trip to AK in 95 when I met Temple
- A trip to North Cascade Heli to film for Mervin Mockumentary when there was no such thing as a budget… we hung out until we got it done
- Love the trip to Hurricane Ridge when it’s at least a double S day… snow and surf. Always fun to watch the boys skate too, if it’s that kind of day!
REASONS WHY YOU WORK AT MERVIN
FAVORITE SNOWBOARD GRABS
- Love a mute
- Method when my hips are feeling flexible
FAVORITE SURF MOVES
Moves?? Going left is my move
THINGS YOUR KIDS SAY ON THE REGULAR
- Wait, Why?
- I’m hungry
FAVORITE NIGHT CLUBS IN PA
PA (Port Angeles) or PA (Pennsylvania?) Can’t think of a good one in either place. I used to go to a place in Trenton NJ called City Gardens though, does that count?! If by Nightclub you mean a place I’d go to after dark to eat…. StraitSlice, for pizza slices that taste like I remember in PA/NJ
PEOPLE YOU WOULD TEXT ON A POW DAY
- You Megan! I keep the crew pretty tight, ha!
FAVORITE APPS AT THE MOMENT
- Magic Seaweed
REASONS WHY YOU DON’T LOVE FACEBOOK
- Social overload
- Another feed to keep up with
- Lack of privacy