Roasted chickpeas are the perfect little snack to satisfy a crunchy craving, and with a ample sources of fiber, protein, iron and antioxidants you’re doing your body a good one! Team B4BC snowboarder Elena Hight is this weeks guest chef for Tasty Tuesdays, and she’s got plenty to say about her Spicy Chickpea below!
Sometimes that craving for something crunchy and salty just has to be satisfied. No matter what I just cant feel good about eating chips so I have been trying to substitute for something just as delicious but with more substance and nutrients. I am a huge fan of chickpeas and I recently saw roasted chickpeas at the grocery store. Just like most things these were extremely expensive for something I knew I could recreate at home for a fraction of the price. I LOVE how these turned out, salty, spicy, and a bit garlicy, all of my favorite chip flavors combined onto a bean that has healthy protein, fats and vitamins. So much better than a potato chip.
Hope that you enjoy this crunchy snack as much as I did!
- 2 cups canned or freshly cooked chickpeas
- 1 ½ TBS olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp chili powder
- If you start with dried chickpeas soak and boil until completely cooked.
- Drain chickpeas and place in one layer on glass baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Mix all spices in one bowl
- Remove chickpeas
- Drizzle with olive oil and toss evenly
- Drizzle chickpeas with the spice mix and toss evenly being sure to coat all the beans
- Bake for 15 more minutes
- Remove and serve warm