Recipe and photos courtesy of: Goofy Foot Foods
Today’s Tasty Tuesday = Taco Tuesday! Our friends over at Goofy Foot Foods introduced us to our new favorite way to add a little spice to our lives with these DELISH chickpea tacos. These are a totally new way to enjoy Mexican cuisine and you will feel way less guilty than you would after chowing down on a big ole burrito. Not only that, but the main ingredient, chickpeas (or garbanzo beans as some people know them), are packed with fiber and other nutritional benefits. No complaints here!
Like we said before, chickpeas are an insanely healthy substitute to the usual taco filling of rice, beans, and meat. Because they are so rich in fiber, just a single cup of these guys will provide you with half of your daily fiber need (about 12.5 grams). Not only that, chickpeas are an awesome source of protein for everyone, including vegetarians! The list of benefits continues! Chickpeas can boost your energy because of their high iron content. Iron is an integral component of hemoglobin, which transports oxygen from the lungs to all body cells, and is part of key enzyme systems for energy production and metabolism. Chickpeas contain phytochemicals called saponins, which can act as antioxidants and can lower the risk of breast cancer. If that doesn’t convince you to add chickpeas into your diet…we don’t know what will!
There is another secret, cancer-fighting ingredient in this recipe that tends to fly under the radar. Many people don’t know it, but walnuts are an awesome addition that add a strong cancer-fighting kick to any recipe. Their phytosterols (cholesterol-like molecules found in plants) have been shown to block estrogen receptors in breast cancer cells, possibly slowing the cells’ growth, says Elaine Hardman, PhD, associate professor at Marshall University School of Medicine in Huntington, West Virginia.
These are a super refreshing remix to your normal Taco Tuesday subbing a tortilla with a crispy piece of lettuce, adding even more veggie power to this dish! If you’re feeling super adventurous and want to add a bit more spice to the recipe, try adding Goofy Foot Foods’ Vegan Jalapeno Sour Cream, made with a cashew base. Super yummy! We know that we’ll be celebrating Taco Tuesday the right way this week!!
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (about 2 cans)
- 1 tablespoon oil: coconut or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 large red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup soaked walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoon Savory Spice Shop – Cuban Island Spice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Optional: fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 8 large romaine leaves, rinsed to remove any debris
- Heat a large skillet with 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, and peppers. Sauté about 5 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, garlic and soaked walnuts. Continue to cook until chickpeas are heated through. About 5 minutes.
- Add spice mix, sea salt and optional pepper.
- Give a good stir, making sure the chickpeas are well coated.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.