Photo Credit: Vanessa Ronksley
Um, Y U M . Kick sugar to the curb this season with these healthy, tasty fruit-sweetened cashew balls that are a perfect snack to throw in a ziplock baggie and munch on the chairlift. They’re naturally sweetened with dates and have a hint of cardamom and orange, and will satisfy that sweet tooth and keep you powering through a day of slashing pow…or sweeten up a day of slashing spreadsheets.
Cashews pack quite a punch against cancer as well, and according to Dr.Oz they are one of the top 4 superfood against fighting cancer. Cashews contain proanthocyanidins, a class of flavanols that actually starve tumors and prevent cancer cells from dividing. In some studies, it’s been shown that eating 12 cashews a day can reduce your cancer risk.
Cashew Coconut Energy Balls
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 cup dates
- chopped zest of 1 orange
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- If you like you can roast your cashews in a cast iron pan or buy roasted cashews from your local bulk store.
- Grind cashews in a food processor, but not too finely.
- Add in cardamom, dates, orange zest and juice and mix until the mixture comes together naturally. Roll into small balls and roll in coconut.
- Store in fridge in a sealed container.
Photo and recipe courtesy of: www.mindbodygreen.com