Recipe and photos courtesy of: Foodie Crush
The weather is getting chillier but that doesn’t mean a good salad won’t hit the spot! It’s time to take advantage of what’s in season and whip up some fantastically creative and oh so delicious dishes. That’s where this recipe comes in! Combine the superfood of all superfoods, kale, with roasted butternut squash, and chickpeas, add a drizzle of tahini dressing, and you’ve got yourself a breast cancer fighting, phytonutrient packed, all around insanely healthy salad that will be sure to get your taste buds excited!
Butternut squash is definitely one of our favorite foods coming out of this season! It can be cooked and prepared in tons of different ways and has all different kinds of benefits for our bods. This heart-healthy winter squash has high levels of fiber and is made up of all kinds of nutrients like potassium, which helps bone health, and Vitamin B6 which promotes well-functioning nervous and immune systems. And it gets even better… Butternut squashes orangey color is an indicator of the presence of carotenoids, more specifically beta-carotene, a known deterrent against breast cancer! Not that you need more convincing to chow down on some squash this fall, but just a single cup of butternut squash gives you half your daily dose of Vitamin C.
Although they may seem like an unlikely combo, butternut squash and chickpeas are quite the dynamic duo. Chickpeas are also rich in fiber and they’re a great source of protein too! Their high iron content can help boost your energy levels and these lil’ guys also contain phytochemicals called saponins, which can act as antioxidants and can lower the risk of breast cancer. Pretty amazing considering how small they are!
AND… If you haven’t heard of tahini, listen up! Tahini paste is made up of ground sesame seeds and is most often used in dressings or seasonings. Although you only need a little of it to enjoy it’s flavor, a little bit goes a long way when it comes to the benefits. just a few reasons you should enjoy some tahini:
- Rich in minerals such as phosphorus, lecithin, magnesium, potassium and iron
- Great source of calcium
- Promotes healthy cell growth
- High in unsaturated fat (the good kind of fat)
SO MUCH GOOD STUFF! We can’t believe how many nutrients are packed into this simply scrumptious salad. You can pick up all the ingredients you need from your local grocery store and whip up this dish in less than 30 minutes. We know what we’re having for dinner this week!
For the Salad:
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups large diced butternut squash
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup candied pecans
For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Prepare the kale by cutting out the tough ribs of the kale and discard. Thinly slice the kale into ribbons and add to a large bowl. Add the chopped cilantro and toss to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Add the diced butternut squash and rinsed chickpeas to a baking sheet lined with foil. Drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil, curry powder and cayenne. Mix with your hands until the squash and chickpeas are well coated. Sprinkle with kosher salt and bake for 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender and chickpeas are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile add the dressing ingredients to a small mason jar. Shake to mix and taste for more seasoning if desired.
- Transfer the butternut squash and chickpeas to the bowl of kale. Add the candied pecans and drizzle with the tahini dressing. Toss to coat. Allow to rest for 10 to 30 minutes before serving so kale softens and flavors meld.