Recipe and photos courtesy of: Cooking Classy
Attention everyone: We have found the perfect snack! This is one of those occasions where temptation sneaks in and it is so easy to indulge on all those unhealthy game day snacks. But don’t worry, we’ve got the perfect recipe that will allow you to munch like all the other party-goers without all the guilt! This avocado hummus can be whipped up in just minutes and we bet you everyone will like it way more than your average dip. Not only is it delicious, it’s also packed with cancer-fighting health benefits. This is definitely our new go to party dish!
There are two main ingredients in this dip and we love them both! First: chickpeas. Chickpeas are a great source of vitamin B6. Our bodies need vitamin B6 to prevent DNA damage and guard against genetic mutations, processes that up the risk of cancer. Not only do chickpeas supply tons of B6, but they are also good sources of fiber and the antioxidant beta-carotene. Chickpeas are so easy to work with and uber nutritious, it’s hard not to love them!
The second main ingredient is none other than avocado! We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again, we are avo obsessed. We think avocados make just about every dish better and blending them into hummus is absolutely genius! Our bodies love avocado just as much as we do because of all their amazing benefits. Avocados are one of the great cancer fighting foods, rich in antioxidants and phytochemicals such as Vitamin E, carotenoids, lutein, and oleic acid. Oleic acid, the primary fat in avocados has been shown to offer significant protection against breast cancer. Women eating a diet rich in oleic acid have shown decreased rates of breast cancer, giving us even more reason to eat avocados any chance we can get!
After finding this recipe, we always know what to bring to a party! We can’t wait to share this amazingly healthy and tasty dish with all of our friends this weekend!
- 1 (15 oz) can chick peas, well drained
- 2 medium ripe avocados, cored and peeled
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for serving if desired
- 1 1/2 Tbsp tahini
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1 – 2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro leaves, for topping
- Red pepper flakes, for topping
- Pulse chick peas, olive oil, tahini, lime juice, and garlic in a food processor until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, add cumin and avocados and pulse mixture until smooth and creamy, about 1 – 2 minutes longer.
- Serve topped with more olive oil if desired and sprinkle with cilantro and red pepper flakes, or sprinkle on some pomegranate seeds. Serve with pita chips or tortilla chips.