So as it turns out, the sweet treats that we love to trick-or-treat for on Halloween are full of chemicals, trans fats, preservatives, petroleum-based artificial colors and…dun dun dun…GMOs. How’s that for scary?!
Just take a look at the ingredient list on Starbursts and Twizzlers:
We found this awesome chart from the Food Babe that can help you navigate better candy choices without the added chemicals, preservatives, trans fats, artificial colors and GMOs. The brands on the right are amazing GMO free substitutes that are very similar tasting to the popular candy brands on the left:
Many of the better and GMO free candy options are available to purchase at local health food stores, on the internet and at even some mainstream stores like Target.
- Endangered Species Organic Chocolate
- UnReal Candy #54 and UnReal Candy #41
- UnReal #8
- Panda Raspberry or Cherry Licorice
- Annie’s Organic Bunny Fruit Snacks
- Yummy Earth Organic Gummy Bears
- UnReal #77 Peanut Butter Cups
- Surf Sweets Sour Berry Bears
- Yummy Earth Organic Candy
Want to stay candy-free altogether? Grab some sweet tangerines and make them jack-o-lanterns! Your sweet tooth and halloween fix will be satisfied. I mean, look at those faces…irresistible:
Now go get your costume on and enjoy!
Article and photos courtesy of: www.foodbabe.com