Just because summertime is gone and we don’t have to beat the heat, doesn’t mean we can slack on making sure we keep our bodies hydrated. This week we asked B4BC’s Health + Wellness Manager Megan Pischke to contribute on a topic that was meaningful to her as a wellness tool. Learn why water is so important in her life and why it should be in yours, and how to seamlessly add infused water to your daily diet!
“Water is one of the most important substances on the face of the earth. Without it, all life – from plants, to humans, to all animals – would cease to exist. “
— Dr Paul Bragg
From body to mind to spirit, drinking water is essential to our being. It keeps us strong, mentally clear, looking and feeling young, and helps rid our bodies of toxins. So… why not try to keep the water we drink, bathe in, and play in, as pure as we can?
Here are a few reasons why I drink LOTS of clean water daily:
1. Water can lower physical and mental stress: 85% of our brain tissue is water. If you’re dehydrated, both your body and your mind will be stressed.
2. Water increases your energy and combats fatigue: Water helps blood transport oxygen and other essential nutrients to your cells.
3. Water prevents cramps/sprains and can build muscle tone: Water lubricates joints in the body and when you’re well hydrated, you can receive all the benefits from your strength building activities.
4. Water keeps you regular: It’s definitely unhealthy for your body (and mind) to be constipated. Along with fiber, water aids in, and is essential to digestion.
5. Water nourishes your skin: When you are dehydrated, fine lines and wrinkles are deeper. Drinking plenty of water hydrates your skin cells, plumps them up, and can make you look younger. It also improves circulation and blood flow, flushes out impurities, and helps retain that fresh glowing healthy look we all are looking for.
So how much water are you drinking?
Generally, nutritionists recommend at least 8 glasses of water per day. Drink more if you’re exercising and sweating. Your body will tell you if you are dehydrated, LISTEN TO IT!
Try infusing your water with lemon, cucumber, and mint. You can make a big jar that can sit on your counter for up to three days. Even adding lemon to warm tea can aid in digestion, reduce bloating, and tastes super yummy!