Happy Cinco de Mayo friends! We hope you’re getting festive and celebrating today! Just because it’s a special day doesn’t mean we can drop our healthy habits. We’ve got two of our favorite Cinco de Mayo recipes to keep you on track and give you an extra cancer-fighting kick during your celebrations.
Packed with healthy fats, fiber, potassium, vitamin E, folic acid and B vitamins, it’s no mystery that avocados are a nutrition wonder. And in honor of Cinco de Mayo, there is no better time to start mastering an ultimate guacamole recipe!
We love serving this dish with homemade tortilla chips and raw veggies, spread onto sandwiches and veggie burgers, and dolloped atop of vibrant salads. With such delicious flavors and versatility, the possibilities are endless!
Serves 2-4 (Recipe can easily be multiplied for a crowd)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Begin by mashing the avocado flesh in a bowl. Simply stir in the remaining ingredients until everything is nicely combined and serve.
ROASTED CAULIFLOWER AND CHICKPEA TACOS
These tacos are the perfect veggie friendly swap to your average taco. The spices absolutely wow your taste buds and chickpeas are a perfect addition. Did you know that when beneficial bacteria in your gut ferments chickpea fiber, a metabolite called butyrate is produced. This short-chain fatty acid has been shown to suppress proliferation and induce apoptosis (self-destruction) of cancerous cells. Delicious and fights off cancerous cells? We’re in!
Don’t let the recipe overwhelm you! We bet you already have most of the ingredients in your kitchen. Plus… it’s a celebration!
Ingredients for the Tacos:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 (15 oz.) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small head cauliflower, washed and cut into bite-size florets
- Corn tortillas
- 1 cup finely chopped red cabbage
- 1 jalapeño, sliced, seeds removed
- 1 large avocado, seed removed and diced
- Chopped cilantro
Ingredients for the Lime Crema:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/8 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt, lime juice, olive oil, and water. Stir in chickpeas and cauliflower florets. Place seasoned chickpeas and cauliflower on a greased baking sheet. Roast for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally during cooking, until chickpeas are slightly crispy and cauliflower is tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To make the lime crema, place the Greek yogurt or sour cream in a small bowl. Add fresh lime juice and cilantro. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Take a corn tortilla and place roasted cauliflower and chickpeas on top. Top with red cabbage, jalapeño slices, avocado, and cilantro. Drizzle lime crema over the tacos and serve!