Photos courtesy of @SilverSpies
The magical acai berry! If you haven’t heard of this insane superfood yet, well, you might be living under a rock… Acai is all over the place and for good reason! This indigenous berry is commonly found in the rain forests of the Amazon and is a relative of the more common blueberry and cranberry. The antioxidant-rich fruit has been heralded for centuries as a healing, immune-stimulating, energy-boosting fruit, not to mention a cancer-fighting powerhouse.
An acai infused smoothie or bowl is one of our go-to breakfasts and the cure for any sweet-tooth craving! You can mix acai in with just about any fruit to whip up a super simple and delicious dish. Besides being super tasty, acai has some insane health benefits. Check ‘em out below:
- CANCER PREVENTION — Acai is very high in Vitamin C and ellagic acid, an immune-system-boosting combination that has been shown to suppress the growth of cancer. One study published in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry found that polyphenolic compounds extracted from acai reduced cancer cell proliferation by 56-86%. It’s thought that acai’s phytochemcials can stop the process of carcinogenesis on a molecular level, killing off tumorous cells before they multiply.
- HEART HEALTH — Acai berries are extremely high in anthocyanins, a form of plant antioxidant associated with the ability to lower cholesterol levels in the blood stream. They are also rich in plant sterols that provide cardio-protective benefits to our cells.
- DIGESTION — Acai may also aid in keeping our digestive system clean and in optimal function. The berries have powerful detoxification capacities in the human body and are a well-known traditional source of dietary fiber.
- IRRITATION — Acai berries contain properties that may prevent the typical irritation associated with respiratory distress.
- CELL HEALTH—The anthocyanins found in acai play a role in our cellular protection system, helping to keep cells strong against the invasion of free radicals.
- ENERGY — Due to its overall health benefits, eating acai or taking acai extract can lead to an increased overall level of energy and stamina, and may aid to combat fatigue and exhaustion.
Tasty and insanely healthy, our favorite! This basic recipe can be used as is or you can switch it up by adding in different fruits and milks to cater to your personal taste. Your acai options are endless!
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tbsp of acai powder (You can also use frozen acai packets)
- 1 1/2 cups of frozen berries (We love using blueberries and strawberries)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of almond milk (or coconut water, other nut milk)
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 pineapple cut in half and hollowed out (you can always use a regular bowl if you don’t have pineapple accessible)
- Toppings of choice — granola or muesli, sliced banana, apple, berries, shredded coconut, goji berries, chia seeds, buckwheat groats, dried fruit, nut butter (your options are endless)
- Blend the banana, acai powder, berries, almond milk, and cinnamon in a high-powered blender until it forms a thick, ice cream like consistency. If 1/4 cup of almond milk is not enough and the mixture is too thick, slowly add more.
- Transfer to a pineapple boat (or bowl if you aren’t feeling as adventurous) and finish by adding your desired toppings.
- Grab a spoon and dig in!