As we head into the holiday season, many of us begin feeling the mounting pressure to manage it all – travel, gifts, guests and amazing food. With memories of childhood gently nudging us to create magic for our own families, we often push ourselves to the edge, feeling run-down and sometimes even sick. Our immune systems become taxed due to a lack of sleep, lowered vitamin D levels, disrupted exercise routines, and poor nutrition. We absolutely LOVE the holidays but not if it means we can’t join in on the festivities and fun. This year we’re taking a hint from our friend Kris Kelly over at Goofy Foot Foods! She recommends starting each day with a positive intention and a cup of Immunity Boosting Tea to help your body stay healthy and set the tone for “Balanced Abundance.” A perfect way to boost your health and keep you warm during these chilly winter months!
WHAT IS BALANCED ABUNDANCE?
When we choose to remain in balance (body, mind & spirit), abundance seems crystal clear. I’m not talking about a new iPhone, iPad, or TV, I’m talking about what is right in front of us. Take a moment to slow down, adjust your to-do list, and enjoy the sights and sounds of the season. That’s a gift in itself!
WHAT MAKES UP AN IMMUNITY TEA:
Immunity tea consists of a few flavors of the season and some sort of immune boosting punch. It’s a personal mix and should be adapted to incorporate your own tastes. We like using ingredients with strong antioxidant properties to give our tea an extra cancer-fighting kick.
BASIC IMMUNITY TEA:
- CEYLON CINNAMON BARK: Well known as an anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial agent. Also studied for its benefits on blood sugar balance.
- GINGER ROOT: Potent anti-inflammatory, carminative, anti-flatulent, and anti-microbial properties.
- CLOVES: Potent anti-viral and anti-bacterial qualities, also beneficial for stabilizing blood sugar levels.
- LICORICE: Supports both respiratory and digestive systems. (Note: use with caution if you have high-blood pressure)
- REISHI MUSHROOM: Potent Antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory. Also supportive for normal blood pressure.
- ELDERBERRIES: Potent antiviral qualities, as well as, anti-inflammatory effects. Contains more vitamin C than oranges.
- SCHISANDRA BERRIES: Utilized as an adapotgen, known for increasing energy and containing both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Combine your favorite herbs, spices and mushrooms.
- Combine 1/3 cup of tea to 6 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for 45 minutes.
- Strain and enjoy.
- Refrigerate leftover for later use
Source: Goofy Foot Foods