Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone! You may be drinking green beer tonight, but this is the breast cancer-fighting green juice you should be starting your morning with! In order to get into the holiday spirit, we decided to give you the ultimate green recipe. Don’t let juicing scare you away, it doesn’t get much easier than this.
Juicing is one of the best ways to prevent disease and help your body fight against cancer. It’s easy to whip up a green juice full of incredible disease fighting nutrients and protect and support your body against foreign invaders and other nasty chemicals. It’s important that we consume fresh fruit and veggies on a daily basis and this is a super simple way to do just that! Check out three key ingredients in this juice that will give you tons of cancer-fighting benefits.
- BROCCOLI: All cruciferous veggies (think cauliflower, cabbage, kale) contain cancer-fighting properties, but broccoli is the only one with a sizable amount of sulforaphane, a particularly potent compound that boosts the body’s protective enzymes and flushes out cancer-causing chemicals, says Jed Fahey, ScD. A recent University of Michigan study on mice found that sulforaphane also targets cancer stem cells—those that aid in tumor growth.
- CILANTRO: Cilantro brings more to the table than just flavor! According to The American Institute for Cancer Research cilantro contains many different types of phytochemicals including beta-carotene and quercetin both of which have been widely studied for their cancer-fighting prowess. Studies have also shown it to have anti-bacterial properties and be high in vitamins A and C and is a good source of calcium and iron. Due to its high antibacterial compounds, cilantro can help to fight off bacteria and fungi, plus its amazing for flushing out heavy metals, particularly, mercury from our system. A toxic build up of mercury can cause of host of problems, cancer being one of them.
- CUCUMBER: This delicious and refreshing veggie is great for protecting our kidneys, due to its diuretic benefits, but cucumber contains unique compounds known as Cucurbitacins. Currently there is research being done on the benefits of these compounds for fighting cancer. The flesh of the cucumber contains vitamin C and vitamin A. Cucumber components which have been shown to have some anticancer activities include fisetin, lutein, caffeic acid and cucurbitacins.
You don’t have to tell us twice! Green juice for everyone on this St. Paddy’s Day!
- 1 cup brocoli
- 1 cup cucumber
- 2 cup romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 green apple *optional
- 1 lime
- Wash your produce and run through a juicer. (It’s that easy!)