Photo courtesy of @ToneItUp
The name is a bit of a mouthful, but this recipe combines two of our favorite breakfast flavors: chai and blueberry. Not only is this breakfast delish, it comes with some serious health benefits and is far healthier than a chai latte or blueberry muffin. This dish takes very little prep time and is perfect to grab when you’re heading out the door. We like to top off this simple chia pudding with antioxidant-rich blueberries to add a serious cancer-fighting punch. Besides the amazing flavors, check out the TWO big reasons why we think you should chow down on this for breakfast!
Chia seeds are the main ingredient in this breakfast and one of the main reasons why this breakfast pudding is a staple in our refrigerator. Chia seeds are the richest plant-based source of alpha linolenic acid (ALA), a type of omega-3 fatty acid that is vital for human health. A study published in the Journal of Molecular Biochemistry at the beginning of 2012 showed that ALA could induce apoptosis, the process of killing cells, in cases of both cervical and breast cancer, and that it did so without damaging non-cancerous cells. In addition to ALA, chia seeds are an excellent source of fiber and zinc, which both have cancer-fighting properties. Chia seeds contain plant lignans called phytoestrogens that are believed to help reduce the risk of hormone-related cancers like breast and prostate cancer.
It seems that blueberries have a rockstar reputation among fruits! These little guys contain anthocyanins, one of nature’s most powerful antioxidants. Antioxidants are nature’s defense against free radicals, the leading causes for cancer cell formation. The components in anthocyanins act as antioxidants that have very quick and effective free radical scavenging abilities. Another perk? The anthocyanins in blueberries act as a natural sunscreen by absorbing blue-green and UV light. Additionally, they have been found to promote cancer cell apoptosis, the process of killing cancerous cells.
Now have we convinced you that this is one of the best breakfast dishes ever? It seriously only takes about two minutes to make this pudding. Mix it up and then throw it in the fridge overnight for the perfect breakfast on the go!
- 1/4 cup black chia seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup concentrated chai tea mix
Note: These proportions are recommendations to start with. If you prefer a thicker pudding, add more chia seeds. For a thinner pudding, add less. Experiment!
- Open your can of coconut milk. If it has separated or is a little lumpy, pour into a spouted measuring cup and whisk until smooth.
- To make the pudding, use containers with tight-fitting lids. Add the chia seeds, coconut milk, and concentrated chai tea mix to your container. Place the lid on and secure it tightly.
- Shake the container until all ingredients are well combined.
- Refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours. Serve with blueberries and coconut. (You can substitute any topping of your choice.) Pudding will last in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.