It’s that time of year again; the time when everyone is making resolutions… or the complete opposite. It seems that many people these days are quick to reject the idea of New Year’s resolutions because it brings up memories of failed attempts and hopeful do-overs. We get that. But what if the concept of a New Year’s resolution isn’t actually at fault? What if it’s about the resolutions you choose to make?
Common resolutions include losing weight, making more money, or getting more organized — and we don’t mean to suggest these goals aren’t absolutely worth striving to achieve. But we propose that framing resolutions in a way that makes you feel inadequate or incapable might not be the best way to bring about the change you want.
Presenting yourself with challenges that recognize your intrinsic value and put self-care at the forefront can make you feel more capable, more optimistic, and more excited about this future version of you. Not only can they make you feel better about yourself, but giving yourself some positivity and love can actually benefit your health! Self love is one of our 8 Steps to Stomp Out Breast Cancer and we think it is the perfect goal to focus on in the new year.
In the spirit of making this your best year yet, consider reframing your approach to resolutions. Here are 10 ideas to get you started heading into 2016:
- Be kind to everyone you meet — starting with yourself.
- Learn to be comfortable with the unknown. The more faith you have, the easier your life will be.
- Love your body regardless of the number on the scale. When you feel good on the inside, it will be reflected on the outside.
- Choose more foods based on how they make you feel rather than how they make you look.
- Listen to your heart. It knows what your head has yet to figure out.
- Be more willing to accept that things end. An end is the only way into a new beginning.
- Accept that a closed door is the wrong door. Something better will open up for you.
- Start calling your dreams your “plans.”
- Trust that everything is working out in your favor. All is in divine order.
Source: Mind Body Green