This Tuesday we’re introducing you to an unlikely, yet perfect combination: pomegranate and fish! The two ingredients offer an array of different flavors and a HUGE variety of health benefits.
- POMEGRANATE: The sweet seeded fruit of ancient myth, is a rich source of antioxidants, and scientists are discovering other possible health benefits. Recently, City of Hope researchers identified six chemicals in the pomegranate that suppress aromatase — a substance in the body that helps produce estrogen. About 70 percent of breast cancers need estrogen to grow, so pomegranate is a prime candidate as a breast-cancer-blocking super food. Other scientists have detected two substances in the fruit with potential to fight both colon cancer and diabetes. The primary source of pomegranate’s benefits come from its antioxidant content including punicalagins, punicalins, vitamin C, with one pomegranate providing about 40 percent of the daily requirement for this vitamin. Pomegranate’s antioxidant activity is known to inhibit cell proliferation and invasion, and promote apoptosis (cell death) in various cancer cells.
- FISH: Fish — and its healthy fats — are well recognized for their heart health benefits, but they have even more to offer. Eating fish has been found to boost brain development, improve your skin and hair, and give you a healthy dose of Vitamin D. According to a study in Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, taking fish-oil supplements for at least 10 years can shrink your risk of ductal carcinoma, the most common type of breast cancer. It’s thought that the omega-3 fats in fish oil reduce inflammation, which may contribute to breast cancer. But you can skip the supplement aisle, say the study’s researchers, and eat about 8 ounces of oily fish (salmon, sardines, tuna) a week to get the same benefits!
Tacos are an easy and delicious way to combine these ingredients or you can mix them up with arugula and avocados (to add an extra cancer-fighting kick) to make the amazing salad below!
- A handful of arugula
- A handful of baby lettuce leaves
- A handful of baby spinach leaves
- The petals of one edible flower
- ½ of an avocado
- 1 smoked filet of salmon
- A handful of pomegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seed
- A drizzle of avocado oil
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- Toss together the lettuce, spinach, and rocket in a bowl or arrange on a plate.
- Cut up the avocado and add the pieces to the salad greens.
- Break up your salmon into rough pieces and arrange on top of the salad.
- Cut open the pomegranate and sprinkle the seeds on the salad.
- Drizzle with avocado oil and lemon juice.
- Scatter sesame seeds over the salad and serve.