Root vegetables grow underground, and therefore pull lots of great nutrients from our soil. They provide not only fiber, but loads of vitamin A, and are slow absorbing starch.
Dr Axe says: “Vitamin A found in many root vegetables has been correlated with better brain function, cognitive health and cancer protection. Inflammation and oxidative stress are two primary causes of cancer formation, but vitamin A, vitamin C and other antioxidants can act like natural cancer treatments and help lower the body’s inflammatory responses.”
Now lets get eating!
My favorite go to ROASTED ROOT VEGGIE DISH:
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and cubed
- 2 large beets, peeled and cubed
- 1 small handful of peeled whole garlic cloves
- 6 large carrots, purple and orange, peeled cubed
- 1 medium/small butter nut squash, peeled, seeds removed, and cubed
- (if you can find it) 1 large yucca root, peeled and cubed
Toss everything in 3 tablespoons of melted coconut oil. Add fresh rosemary, sea salt, and a few pinches of garam marsala as a spice.
Roast at a lower temperature- around 325 degrees oven temp- until soft and roasted.
Toss onto a bed of arugula- and time to grind!