Through the 2016-2017 winter season, a team of 5 people came together to reach 7 different mountain resorts across the country in order to raise money towards Boarding for Breast Cancer’s outreach, prevention and survivorship programs. In the end, over $60,000 was raised towards these programs, and thousands of people were educated in how to do a breast self-exam and preventative tips towards breast cancer.
Shred the Love is a series of snow loving community gatherings with a focus on breast cancer prevention among young people. Each resort expresses their passion for snow sports differently, representing each resort in its own way. This year we saw rail jams, board-a-thons, yoga, tribute rides, banked slaloms, cross country skiing, raffles, art displays, silent auctions, and a whole lot of pink.
As the season ends, we want to say one more HUGE thank you to the following:
- Our sponsors – for the industry support that gives us something we are so grateful to call home, and without which these programs would be impossible. Dakine, Arbor, YES., Nixon, Skullcandy, VonZipper, ThirtyTwo, DC, GNU, Never Summer, Eekoe, 686, Holden, Bonfire, Nikita, Volcom, Vans, and K2.
- Everyone who came out to these resorts – whether it was to participate in one of the events, buying a raffle ticket, or simply coming to shred for a cause. You are what keeps us going, and we are so thankful for your support.
- Our artists – Art as an expression is extremely important to us at B4BC. Thank you to the following artists for their expression of B4BC and what we mean to them. Onus Art Projects, Trevor Kekke, Rachel Fritz, Monica Lopez, Ali Woliver, Emily Chisum, Claire Sweethammer, and Erin Chon.
- Perspektiiv Design – For creating an entire series of amazing art and design for our events
- A few people who we are extremely grateful in their initiative to create their own events with proceeds benefiting B4BC – Jessie Wade for hosting a rail jam and raffle at Trollhaugen Shred the Love, Erika Norcross for the planning of a lady’s ride day at Copper, and the team at USCSA Southwest for an annual event dedicated to us. Thank you!
- Our volunteers – thank you Amy Grannick, Zoe Huebner, Heather Searcy, Laura Mate, Lee Schellhamer, and more. Our team is small, and with the manpower of a few others coming together for the support, we are able to do some big things.
- Last, but definitely not least, each mountain resort and their teams – for opening their homes to B4BC, welcoming us with open arms and taking the time and dedication to help us raise as much as possible for our programs.
Bear Mountain/Snow Summit | Arbor Girls Push 2 Progress ladies ride sesh, rail jam, and board-a-thon: $1,000
Camelback Mountain Resort | Pink Mountain program: $10,857
Trollhaugen | Rail Jam/Raffle: $1,017
Taos Ski Resort| K2 Bumps Challenge, art display, silent auction, raffle: $29,564
Sugar Bowl/Royal Gorge | Banked slalom, cross-country skiing, raffle: $7,910
Mammoth Mountain | USCSA Southwest race and raffle: $1,000
Sierra-at-Tahoe | Snow + Music Festival, sponsor village: $10,000
Founded in 1996, Boarding for Breast Cancer (B4BC) was created with the iconic Snow + Music Festival at Sierra-at-Tahoe. Two years later, B4BC decided to take its show on the road, literally, and launched B4BC board-a-thons in 1998 as a platform to advocate healthy, active lifestyles while building communities and benefiting local organizations. We are extremely honored and humbled to see how the program has grown and can’t wait to see even bigger plans for the 2017-2018 season!
To learn more, check out B4BC’s Check one, two outreach and Chasing Sunshine Survivor Programs. If you are interested in hosting a Shred the Love event at your home mountain through the 2017-2018 season, please contact email@example.com.